Posted by the Weisdaddy. The 25th week in the life of our little Weisbaby was definitely an exciting one for many reasons. The first of such reasons was that Lindsay and I finished painting the long wall in the nursery. We had seen some pictures online of different painting ideas, and settled on the idea of doing a multi-coloured, multi-squared wall in the nursery, and then keeping the other walls the same colour as they already are. An interesting bit of knowledge I learned awhile ago is that newborns have limited colour perception, but can easily see contrasts within colours. This is why it's so common and natural for the areola around the mother's nipple to darken so much during pregnancy - it allows the baby to focus in on their main food source in contrast with the rest of the skin (I thought that was pretty cool). Anywho, this led to wanting three main colours with two contrasting tones for each. From there we focused on some hippy research about how colours affect personality and decided on three: Blue, Green, and Purple. For the most part, we simply loved those colours, but they also suited what we wanted to achieve. We read that light colours such as reds, oranges, yellows, etc, although bright and vibrant, lend to an unsettled, anxious, hyper-active personality in a room where you really want them to be calm and relaxed. Here's what they say about the colours we chose:
BLUE - Blue often signifies harmony, loyalty, peace, depth of feeling, sensitivity, wisdom, confidence and stability. It’s a great bedroom color as it slows the human nervous system and produces a calming effect that prepares the body to nod off to sleep. It can soften bright rooms, making one feel comforted and at peace.
GREEN - Said to reinforce self-esteem and suggest hope, restfulness and calmness, green is a refreshing color that makes dim rooms seem more vibrant as long as it’s not too dark.
PURPLE - Combining the stability of blue and the energy of red, purple can bridge their two qualities quite nicely. Traditionally purple signifies royalty, power, justice, nobility and luxury. Lighter purples tend to make the viewer feel peaceful, romantic and nostalgic.
So yeah, here's the result (we will shortly have this and a few more pictures added to the Nursery Album):
So that was the beginning of the week, which was followed by a crash course in the labour portion of pregnancy... yowza, lol. Our prenatal class teacher had warned us that we would be watching videos of labour at our Wednesday class, so I couldn't help but try and prepare myself. It's amazing what you can find on YouTube, lol. I had never seen the real deal before, and yeah, it's pretty crazy watching a little baby 'sploosh' out of a woman's vagina. The physics involved simply astound me, and then to watch it is just craziness. So we talked alot about that at the class as well, and watched the videos our teacher had brought. The end result is that I'm now fairly desensitized to the whole thing, and actually want to cut the umbilical cord - which before I had considered to be "ewwww-icky". So that's a big step, lol.
The next little exciting moment was that I felt little Weisbaby move for the first time! After a couple of weeks where Lindsay would call me over and place my hand on her belly, only to feel nothing that could be directly defined as the Weisbaby, I finally felt him! I felt him with my face no less, lol. Lindsay mentioned that I may be able to hear his heartbeat starting this week, and so I experimented listening. I heard nothing but liquid splooshing about. Then it happened! A swift kick/punch to my cheek! It was followed by quite a few more of the same pushes, at which point I raised my head with an amazed look on my face. Lindsay asked if I had heard him, and I said, "better, I felt him!". I figure that with less nerve endings in the face, I was able to feel more generic movements. Either way, regardless of the reasons, it was so cool.
The last bit of excitement that closed off the 25th week was a fantastic shower that was thrown for Lindsay by her mom and sister. It was the 'family and friends of family' shower, and man did Lindsay get spoiled! She had nothing but great things to say about the event, and then we went through all of the amazing gifts that were received. Among them were an incredible stroller, some insanely amazing artwork and decorations, great bath items, wonderful clothing, cool books, a beautiful diaper bag, an excer-saucer and a swing-chair. I went to empty the car when Lindsay got home, and I first emptied the back seat which I thought was all that she had received (which was alot). Then I opened the trunk and it was also full! I was like, "woah". Seriously, if you were at the shower and are reading this, you are amazing, and Lindsay and I thank you with full humility and gratitude. It was great fun going through everything together afterward. Here's a pic of the stroller we got from Rachel Waddell and a painting from Lindsay's mega talented cousin Kathryn Boyd and her wife Nora:
That's pretty much it for now. Days tick on by and we get closer to meeting our baby boy. Almost done with the second trimester, it's amazing how time moves. I started setting up the nursery yesterday afternoon, and assembled the rocker/glider - yeah, that thing is SO comfortable. Can't wait to try it out with baby in arms. We'll have some more pictures up later this week, as well as some more video, so watch for that. Ciao for now!



No comments:
Post a Comment