Well, I've been working on this post for a while now... I was going to wait till all our friends knew about our exciting news, but I figure, people are only going to come to this site if they know now, so it's safe to post this here now.
It (the pregnancy) came as a big surprise to us. Not because we didn't want it, or because we were carefully using protection (we were using protection, but not carefully by any means), but because I hadn't had a period in more than 6 months and we were under the impression that we would be waiting a long time for my body to get back to "normal".
In December, my dr. put me on Provera. A progesterone pill that was to trigger a period. My period was to come January 5th. Instead of a period, I just got cramps for a week. I felt at the time, that this was normal because the ONLY period I had after going off the pill started with nearly 2 weeks of cramps. The cramps turned into absolutely nothing though. Then I started to get horribly tired. Tired like I hadn't slept in 48 hours. Tired like I felt after my wedding (hardly sleeping for 3 nights with much excitement during the days).
I called my dr. and explained that my period never came, and asked what I should do now. They decided to refer me to a gynecologist. 2 days later, on a whim, I decided to do a pregnancy test. My reasoning was this, I had all the SERIOUS symptoms of a period happening, with NO period in sight. I had a pregnancy test at home already, and they say that when your are missing periods for a long period of time, it doesn't hurt to do random tests. I thought "what the heck?!?".
I got home from work, peed on the stick, and before I put the test down on the counter, the plus sign appeared, and the words "NO WAY" came pouring out of my mouth immediately. The last thing I truly expected was a positive pregnancy test.
I went down stairs with the test in hand, and gave it to ggregg who was sitting on the couch. He looked at it for a few seconds and then said "oook... so what does this mean?" to which I replied "well....it's a plus sign, which apparently means I'm pregnant!"
I kid you not, for minutes we sat on the couch holding this thing, with a confused look on our faces, then laughing, then back to confused. All we could keep saying was "how?" and wracking our brains trying to figure out how far along I could be.
So Thursday I called the doctor and said "so I think I'm pregnant". The nurse laughed cause she remembered my story, and I had blood work done that afternoon. I was supposed to get results on Friday. I called Friday and they said "call Monday." MONDAY?!? That's too long! So I went out and bought a handful of tests and did some that night. The tests came out positive so I finally believed I was pregnant.
Monday I called and they confirmed the blood work and said that I'm probably farther along than I thought I was (I assumed I had conceived somewhere around January 3-4). An early ultrasound was booked for the following week. That was the longest week of my life. I was still UBER tired, battling nausea, and dying to know just how far along I was.
The ultrasound was... well, both fun and painful at the same time. I was told to drink 1.25L an hour before the ultrasound. My mom said that I'd need less than 1L so I drank 1L. We got to the ultrasound on time, only to learn the technician was late getting to work. I had to wait an extra 30 mins. Eventually ggregg told the receptionist I had to relieve some of the pressure (because I couldn't even stand up). I did, and it did help a little, but I was breaking into cold sweats and painfully uncomfortable. Heck... I was sitting in the waiting room with my pants undone!! I finally got in to the office, and my bladder was SO full she couldn't even see the baby!! She then told me that my next ultrasound, all I need to drink is a 365ml bottle of water an hour before. :P Good to know!!
Anyway, we were VERY excited to learn that I was 7 weeks 4 days along, giving me an EDD of Sept 18th (we were about 10 days off our guesstimate). It was pretty cool seeing the embryo, seeing the heartbeat, and then getting to hear it.
So far smells that really turn my stomach are:
Fresh garlic raw or being cooked (but not garlic bread oddly enough)
Coffee
Red Wine
Fried foods (ie fast food and french fries)
Dirty dishes
But I'll tell you, my sense of smell is through the roof!!! EVERYTHING stinks to me! The couch, my clothes (clean or not), the kitchen, our dog....
ggregg's been FANTASTIC. He's been nothing but helpful when I'm not feeling 100%. I tell you, this nausea has GOT to go away by 12-14 weeks. I really can't handle much more of this. I actually APPRECIATE the mornings because that's when I feel my best (tired or not). As the day goes on, I feel worse and worse, till it's 8:30 or 9pm and I just can't stand to be conscious anymore, so I go to bed.
No comments:
Post a Comment