Evan was born with a tongue tie - http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ankyloglossia - incase you don't know what it is.
When he was an infant, we were in the mind frame "don't hurt my precious baby". Though he had no trouble nursing, 2.5 years later, I regret not getting it fixed. It seems to be causing what will lead to serious dental issues.
Maya was born with a tongue tie too. It wasn't as severe as Evan's and though she didn't have trouble 'latching', she had puddles of milk left under her cheek and always choked while nursing (and then some). This, topped with my regret of not getting Evan's tongue tie fixed had me convinced I needed to do something about it. I asked my midwife if we could schedule a frenectomy (to get rid of the tongue tie). She agreed.
Yesterday morning, I took Maya to the clinic. It seemed to be a quick and quite painless procedure:
No freezing
*Click*
"Waaa"
Silence
And she was back in my arms.
Since the frenectomy, she has not dribbled or choked once!
Now, to get Evan's fixed. Something tells me it won't be so easy. (I also have to convince my dr it needs to be done).
No comments:
Post a Comment