One of the first questions I'm usually asked by people when we talk about my pregnancy is "Do you have any cravings?"
My initial response is "No." but being asked as often as I have got me thinking... DO I have any food cravings?
I can list off some foods that I went through phases of eating nearly every night during this pregnancy, but they were all foods that I always enjoyed to begin with.
For example:
Ice Water. I never really cared for *COLD* water really before I was pregnant (though wasn't a fan of room temperature water), but have noticed now that the colder the water, the more I enjoy it.
Popsicles. During my first trimester, when I was at my worst with morning sickness, a Popsicle seemed to make me feel better. I don't know if it was the coldness like the ice water only with flavour that did it for me, but I had at least 1 Popsicle each day I was feeling ill.
Black Cherry Ice Cream. I have always LOVED black cherry ice cream. Since I was a kid... and it's an ice cream I seldom got/get. One night, I had a hankering for it, and the grocery store was selling 2 for $5.00. Of course I bought 2, and for about 2 months I had a small bowl nearly every night. Suddenly, that nightly tradition stopped.
Jam. I was not a fan of jam until about 11 years ago, when I went to New Zealand and was served toast and jam every morning for breakfast. I grew to love it there, but as soon as I got home, that breakfast tradition stopped. I would enjoy it here and there, but a jar of jam would last ages in the fridge for us. Lately, I have wanted toast (or an english muffin) with jam most mornings.
Jumbo Mr. Freeze. We were at Costco last month, and I saw a HUGE box of jumbo freezies and just HAD to get them. ;) Now, whenever I'm feeling warm, or need to force myself to take a break from whatever I'm doing (usually trying to clean or work on the nursery) I grab a Jumbo Mr. Freeze and sit out on our front porch with Moses, or watch TV for a few minutes. (I have my daily Freezie now).
Then, when I look at this list, I realize 2 things.
First, these are ALL things that I have always enjoyed - just didn't have often, so I ask myself "are these cravings? or am I using this pregnancy as an excuse to eat them?"
Second, that ALL of these items (with the exception of ice water) are sweet/sugary, and if you know me, I don't have much of a sweet tooth so do I have cravings for sweet things?
I just don't know...
No comments:
Post a Comment