So it's official, we have a midwife.
For years, friends all around us have been having babies, and I'd say maybe half of them were 'lucky' enough to get a midwife. I was told by all these friends, just how fantastic their midwife was, and if I ever have the chance, to get a midwife for myself.
I was warned that they book up quick (ie. my sister was on a few waiting lists, and never got in).
I was MOST excited about the prospect of getting a midwife in Burlington, because their office is a 10-15 minute walk from our house, and being pregnant in the summer, I was excited to use that as an excuse to go on walks.
I wasn't sure if I was going to get one because of my situation (not knowing how far along I was when I called). But, I took my friends' advice and called AS SOON as I had that positive home pregnancy test. My conversation with the midwife office went something like this:
"Burlington Midwives, how may I help you?"
"Hi there, my name is Lindsay, and I had a positive home pregnancy test last night... sooo... ummmm...... yeeeeah." *awkward laugh*
*awkward laugh* "Soooo, you want a midwife?"
"Yes!"
I went on to explain that I had NO idea how far along I was, and we guessed a date that seemed to make sense. She sounded REALLY hopeful at the time, and asked that I call if the date drastically changes.
Just over a week later, I found out just how far along I was, and I was nearly 10 days off. I became worried, and called to update my situation. She didn't sound AS hopeful the second time round, and just said "we'll call you in a couple of weeks".
My doctor in the meantime, was getting VERY anxious to know whether I had picked a doctor. They got tired of waiting, so they just booked me in with an OB in Mississauga (which they knew I didn't want, but we're just covering their butts, which is understandable) and as the days and weeks went on, I was becoming very anxious as well.
I finally broke and called on a Monday (the week after they said they'd call) and they said that they were going to go through their lists that day or the next and they'd call by the end of the week. I sat, as patient as I could, preparing myself to search for a Burlington OB in a few days.
On Wednesday (Feb 17th) ggregg and I were driving home from work, and I was telling him just how much I wanted a midwife. Now, every day for over a week, I was immediately checking our phone messages as soon as we got home from work, only to hear silly automated messages. That Wednesday was no different, but this time I hit play on the answering machine and heard an actual human voice on the other end. It was the midwives calling to tell me they were able to take me. I actually squealed and started jumping for joy. :P I was so happy.
We meet our midwife next week.
not to sounds like a tool...but what do midwife's do? All this stuff is brand new to me!
ReplyDeleteLiz ;-)
Hey Liz! You don't sound like a tool at all, there are so many things I never knew about this stuff as well.
ReplyDeleteThis website probably best explains the role of a Midwife: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midwifery
I am sooo happy for you guys. I can't wait to meet you little one. Cole is going to have a playmate.
ReplyDeletethanks gregg.....that is soo cool, I never really thought we had other options then obstetricians....so glad you were able to secure a midwife....talk soon
ReplyDeleteLiz ;-)
Wendy says" My grandmother was a midwife in New Brunswick back in the 1930-40's? Not sure when exactly. I slept in the room and bed that was used for birthing moms. LOL
ReplyDelete